The First Week of Sunwait Approaches
I looked at my liturgical calendar today and to my shock, realized that the first week of Sunwait is … next week. It seems like it is so incredibly early this year, but there it is. What strikes me is that for those of us who celebrate it on Fridays, it falls on Veteran’s Day (Remembrance Day). For many Heathens this is also a feast day for Odin. That’s a hell of a confluence of powers.
I personally plan to approach this with several days of prayer and ritual purifications, starting on November 7. Then this is what we typically do:
- Cleanse and ward the space, the latter with fire.
- Call upon Thor to protect and Heimdallr to hallow the space. (I always personally contemplate what Sunna’s relationship with Them is like, and how these specific Powers interact, and what that means for sustaining and restoring the order of the worlds).
- Offer a prayer to Sunna.
- Light the first week’s candle.
- Galdr that week’s rune (for week 1, it’s fehu).
- Attendees make any personal prayers to Sunna
- Pass the horn making prayers as in a regular faining.
- Close with Sigdrifa’s Prayer and thanks given to the Powers.
We also usually incorporate a fair amount of drumming and ecstatic work after or sometimes during the galdr and offerings are poured out to the Powers, including the runes, throughout.
This year, before we open up the rite for personal prayers, we’ll be making copious offerings to the military dead and also a prayer to Odin as it is also His feastday.
It still seems very odd to me that Sunwait is beginning so quickly after our Winternights. May the weather be cold, the mornings filled with frost, and may Sunna’s blessings welcome us into Yule.